212 Careers
Interviewing, Resumes, and Career Information -- 1 Degree Better
Curated by James Schreier
Your new post is loading...
Your new post is loading...
Scooped by James Schreier
Scoop.it!

Need Any More Proof? Job Referrals Are REALLY Important

Need Any More Proof? Job Referrals Are REALLY Important | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
You have heard this many times, I’m sure, but it never hurts to hear it again: job referrals are the best source of job candidates and new hires.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

The Folly of Stretch Goals

The Folly of Stretch Goals | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Let's dispense, once and for all, with the managerial absurdity known as "stretch goals." While it's true that renowned psychologists Edwin Locke and Gary Latham described goal setting as "the most effective managerial tool available," it's also...
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

THE POWER OF A (GREAT) RESUME | Tandem Resumes

THE POWER OF A (GREAT) RESUME | Tandem Resumes | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
...I can't express strongly enough the impact that a crisp, achievement-focused resume can have when a hiring manager (or panel) is making a final hiring decision.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

How to Get a Job: A Classic Cover Letter You’ll Never Forget

How to Get a Job: A Classic Cover Letter You’ll Never Forget | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Editor’s Note: Weekly Wrap is on a well-needed summer vacation. It will return after Labor Day. It’s a tough time for job seekers, especially for those who have been out of work for some time.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Your Resume

What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Your Resume | 212 Careers | Scoop.it

Although we may never know why we didn't get chosen for a job interview, a recent study is shedding some light on recruiters' decision-making behavior. According to TheLadders research, recruiters spend an average of "six seconds before they make the initial 'fit or no fit' decision" on candidates.

No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Job Descriptions and the "Experience-Needed" Syndrome

Job Descriptions and the "Experience-Needed" Syndrome | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Globally, one in three employers struggle to find employees with the skills and experience necessary to meet their needs, and almost one-third cite a lack of experience as a key barrier to filling their open jobs.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Resume ‘Black Holes’ Could Be Costly - Talent Management magazine

Resume ‘Black Holes’ Could Be Costly - Talent Management magazine | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Many employers fail to adequately follow up with job applicants, leaving them frustrated and angry. This lack of communication hurts the candidate experience — and potentially the bottom line.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Transparency: Does Your Company “Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk?”

Transparency: Does Your Company “Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk?” | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
“I am sorry, but we have already identified someone for that role.” The next question was, “how could that be, the job was just posted on the Internet?
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Hiring Wisdom: The Most Important Interview Question You Need to Ask

Hiring Wisdom: The Most Important Interview Question You Need to Ask | 212 Careers | Scoop.it

I like the question -- but not the most important...

If you’ve ever arrived late to a movie, you know figuring out what happened during the time before you took your seat can be extremely frustrating.

No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Think positive: The psychology of job-hunting | Jobs & Careers Magazine

Think positive: The psychology of job-hunting | Jobs & Careers Magazine | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
We take a look at the stresses and strains of the quest for employment and how you can transform your situation into an optimistic experience.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

6 Common Hiring Mistakes – And How You Can Avoid Them

6 Common Hiring Mistakes – And How You Can Avoid Them | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
I’ve recently been writing about business leadership and strategy, and I began thinking about something one of my mentors taught me about being an executive.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

What’s Wrong With Interviews? The Top 50 Most Common Interview Problems

What’s Wrong With Interviews? The Top 50 Most Common Interview Problems | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
RT @RachaelBurns: Thank you to Ken Persel for sharing this gem of an article with me!
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Hiring Wisdom: Do You Help People Get Where They Want to Go?

Hiring Wisdom: Do You Help People Get Where They Want to Go? | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Do you help people get to where they want to go? And will they go out of their way to help you get where you want to go?
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

The Peril of Stretch Goals: Why They Can Be Demotivating & Dangerous

The Peril of Stretch Goals: Why They Can Be Demotivating & Dangerous | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Dan Markovitz’s recent Harvard Business Review post on The Folly of Stretch Goals brings to mind a development in my own management incentive plan design work over recent years, as my clients and I address heightened concerns about risk and …...
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Choosing Between Making Money and Doing What You Love

Choosing Between Making Money and Doing What You Love | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
"If you're really passionate about what you do, but it's not going to make you a lot of money, should you still do it?" What a great question!
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

10 myths about career planning BUSTED!

10 myths about career planning BUSTED! | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
From procrastinating to submitting oneself to inadequate information, Suchitra Surve, Director, Growth Centre identifies the 10 common myths about choosing a career and tells you why it will affect you in the long run.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

7 Things You Should Never Do During An Interview

7 Things You Should Never Do During An Interview | 212 Careers | Scoop.it

With the job market extremely tight, even the small stuff counts, especially when you’re on a job interview. That’s why it’s so important not to say or do the wrong things, since that first impression could end up being the last one.

With that in mind, here are seven deadly sins of job interviewing.

No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Are You Hiring Real Rock Stars, or Just Pop Stars?

Are You Hiring Real Rock Stars, or Just Pop Stars? | 212 Careers | Scoop.it

Think about this from the perspective of how you present yourself during a job search:

It seems like everywhere you look these days, people are aspiring to be rock stars. Can you give a killer slide presentation? Then you’re a PowerPoint rock star! Are you especially gifted in dealing with people?

No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Job Interview Tips - Garrett Miller, Author interview

Author, Garrett Miller gives great tips on how to interview more effectively based on his book Hire on a WHIM - Four Qualities That Make for Great Employees....
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Find a Job with Massive, Structured Networking

Find a Job with Massive, Structured Networking | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Whether you're searching for your first job, considering a career change, or seeking opportunities while unemployed, finding a job can be one of the toughest challenges you ever face. How should you conduct a job search?
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Why Employers Really DON’T Want Employee Facebook Passwords

Why Employers Really DON’T Want Employee Facebook Passwords | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
By Eric B. Meyer Relax! Businesses don’t want employee Facebook passwords. But, if you think they do — maybe you read this article last week — then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, sucker. Come on!
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Assessment | Interviewing | Emotional Intelligence

Assessment | Interviewing | Emotional Intelligence | 212 Careers | Scoop.it

212-Careers is a website (and this Scoop.It topic) dedicated to important, sometimes unusual, and more "strongly worded" career advice.  Follow the topic on Scoop.It and visit the website for the "better" information from the sea of career advice.  212-Careers - One Degree Better!  "Emotional Intelligence" will be a featured topic (tagged) in this topic.  212-Careers also serves as the "depot" for our Leadership and Career Coaching!

No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Facebook Tells Users Not to Give Passwords to Employers As Senate Prepares Anti-Snooping Bill

Facebook Tells Users Not to Give Passwords to Employers As Senate Prepares Anti-Snooping Bill | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
Facebook's chief privacy officer Erin Egan has sent a warning to social network's users: never give your password to your employer. It's wrong and it's illegal for them to ask you.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Ask This, Not That: 5 Ways You Can Improve Your Hiring Today

Ask This, Not That: 5 Ways You Can Improve Your Hiring Today | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
It’s all too easy to settle into an interview rut. You’ll probably do three or four for every job you fill, so it makes sense to have a go-to list of questions you’re comfortable asking.
No comment yet.
Scoop.it!

Prospective Employees Are Now Being Asked for Facebook Login Details

Prospective Employees Are Now Being Asked for Facebook Login Details | 212 Careers | Scoop.it
It's no surprise that employers check out the Facebook profiles of prospective employees—after all, you can learn a lot from what people choose to broadcast.
No comment yet.